Feeling a little lethargic lately? Sleepy all the time? It could be not enough sleep at night. Each person requires varying amounts of sleep. If you feel that you get sufficient sleep though, here are a few other possibilities why you may be tired:
1. Dehydration – You need water and good water, like the type your cells will accept. Alkaline water is the best water we have access to in big cities. And it is available at only $2 per gallon at Earth’s Healing Café.
Why is alkaline water so great you ask? Drinking alkaline water (that of above 7.0 pH) consistently will help to raise the pH level of the body and cause the tissues to throw off toxins. When the body becomes alkaline, the process of cleansing and detoxification is automatically induced.
2. B-12 Deficiency – Don’t let people fool you about vegans needing supplements for this. The animals get it from plants so why should we eat animals to get nutrients second-hand when we can get it first-hand? Great B-12 sources are kelp and spirulina. Best part is the B-12 from these sources are bio-available, which means our body can actually utilize the B-12 as opposed to a synthetic supplement. Spirulina is great in smoothies. In fact, we use it in our Bio-Active Protein smoothie because spirulina is also a great source of protein. Try this smoothie below to incorporate spirulina into your diet.
Process the following ingredients in the blender until smooth and creamy.
1 cup of blackberries
A handful of spinach
4 medjool dates
1 tsp spirulina
1 cup water
Kelp is really good in salads. Check out this recipe derived from a recipe on RawFoodMealPlanner.com. This recipe was created by your very own Akin Olokun and Samantha Salmon.
Romaine Leaves, 3 bunches
Avocadoes, 3 peeled and cubed
Kelp, 1/2 cup chopped
Red Clover Sprouts, 4 oz
Himalayan Salt, a dash
Mix the romaine leaves, avocados, kelp, and sprouts in a large bowl. Drizzle with some hemp oil and add a dash of Himalayan salt, cayenne, and turmeric.
3. Stress – De-stress with yoga, meditation, exercise or just doing something fun. There are great places in the Ravenswood community to do this, like our neighbor Thrive Fitness.
4. Cardiovascular issues – When blood is not circulating to the brain properly it will make you feel fatigue. There are herbs that can assist with circulation, like hawthorn, ginkgo biloba, ginger, and cinnamon. All of these herbs are available at Earth’s Healing Café in our bulk herbs section. They can be used to make teas or used in smoothies. See below another smoothie recipe from RawFoodMealPlanner.com utilizing cinnamon and ginger.
That Warm Ginger Feeling
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup of water
4 medjool dates
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger powder
5 frozen bananas
Process all ingredients in a blender.
5. Low iron– Iron is an essential component of hemoglobin, which is a pigment of red blood cells that moves oxygen from the lungs to the tissues allowing cellular oxygenation. Iron is necessary for energy production in the body. Earth’s Healing Café’s Iron Tea is a wonderful source of easily digestible organic iron. The herbs in this tea are yellow dock, dandelion, chickweed, and red raspberry.
6. Too much time being sedentary– Find an activity you enjoy that does not have you sitting for an hour. If you work on the computer for hours at a time, you could walk to the copier to make copies, walk to the kitchen for a glass of water or tea, walk over to a colleague to ask a question, or walk around the block for fresh air to de-stress or just take a break from a huge project you may be working on. Make sure to do any of this within each 60 minute time block so you are not sitting for an hour or more at a time.
7. Too much exercise – Do not overdo it. Everything in moderation. You need a rest period, like a day or two a week, so incorporate that into your exercise regimen. Most importantly, do what feels good to your body. When your body says it needs a break, it is best to listen.
8. Urinary tract infection – If this is the culprit, there are herbs to assist with getting rid of the infection, like Uva Ursi, Celery Seed, Cleavers, Couchgrass, Juniper Berries, Parsely Leaf, Nettle, Pipsissewa, Tribulis, Horsetail, and Devil’s Claw. All of these herbs are available at Earth’s Healing Café. Also, an alkaline body fights infection so the herbs mentioned alongside a raw vegan diet and alkaline water will give the infection a triple whammy and send the message it is not welcome in your temple. Need tips on following a raw vegan lifestyle, you can check out RawFoodMealPlanner.com.